Thursday, August 12, 2010

Borracho Beans

Borracho beans were a staple in my house growing up.  Mom made a big pot of beans on Sunday and we would eat them Sunday-Wednesday (or Thursday) with our meals.  Usually by Wednesday she would mash them into refried beans  :)
As soon as the beans were ready, my mom would put some in a bowl for me and I would sprinkle some cheese on top (cheddar or queso fresco) and my goodness it was delicioso!

The recipe I am sharing with you is not the "traditional" one.  Most recipes call for pork bacon, tomatoes, onion, and bell pepper.  Since my husband is not a big pork eater I have omitted pork from my recipe.  I also have omitted tomatoes, onion, and bell pepper and use those items when I make frijoles a la charra.

Ingredients:
1 pound pinto beans
4-5 cups of water
1 12oz. bottle of Negra Modelo
2-4 tablespoons kosher salt

Directions:
Before you rinse the beans, look through them and make sure to take out any rocks and/or rotted beans.

Place the beans in a colander and rinse thoroughly.  The beans might have dirt on them so make sure you rub them together as you rinse them.

Put the rinsed beans in a dutch oven and add 4 cups of water.  Bring to a boil.
Add the beer and 2-3 tablespoons of salt.
Reduce to a simmer and cover the pot.  Let the beans simmer for 2 hours, and after the first hour check on them and make sure the liquid isn't low.  If it is, add another 1/2 - 1 cup water.
After about 1 1/2 hours, you can add 1-2 tablespoons if you want (just taste one of the beans and see if it needs more salt).
Beans should be done in 2 - 2 1/2 hours.


¡Buen provecho!

No comments: